Heart Healthy Arugula Caprese Salad
Arugula Caprese Salad
Did you know that February is National Heart Health Month?
Whats the best way to keep your heart healthy? By eating healthy!
A salad is a great healthy option. The main ingredients in this caprese salad make a healthy trio, but one of these ingredients may have some impressive heart-health benefits.
Researchers have found that tomatoes may contain important compounds that can help protect you from vascular disease, a form of cardiovascular disease that affects the blood vessels.
Not only is this salad great for your health but it tastes absolutely delicious! A traditional caprese salad is made up of Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil. The addition of the arugula allows you make a larger salad with all the toppings of a caprese salad. There is nothing wrong with extra veggies!
2 Cups Arugula
1/4 Cup Red Onion diced
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
1 Cup Fresh Mozzarella Balls
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Splash of Honey
Salt and Pepper to taste
Makes 1-2 servings
Depending if you are having as a side salad or for a meal.
1. Dice onions, and chop basil. Slice tomatoes in half if they are large. (I used mini ones so left them whole)
2. Chop mozzarella balls if you want smaller pieces.
3. Prepare the dressing by combining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt & pepper. Mix together and set aside.
4. Combine salad in a bowl with, arugula, basil, tomatoes, mozza-balls and onions.
5. Mix dressing just before drizzling on top of salad. You are ready to go ahead and enjoy!